Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

How to Make a Diaper Cake

Sometimes, I just see stuff online and I think, "I could make that..."
Well, that is exactly what happened when I decided to make a diaper cake. I knew I was going to be co-hosting a baby shower for my good friend Carley and while thinking of possible decorations for the party, I decided to try my hand at making a diaper cake.

What you will need:
  • Cute package of diapers (I ordered the blue jean diapers online that came as a package of 96...that was too many but I used all but about 30.)
  • A bunch of rubber bands (to hold the individual rolled diapers together...oh, and don't even think about using scotch tape it doesn't work!)
  • A tray to set the finished "cake" on (I used a cheap plastic tray from the dollar store...just in case the mommy decided to take the tray with the cake.)
  • Accessories to decorate the cake with
  • Ribbon to cover-up the rubber bands and hold each tier together
  • Safety pins (or something to fasten the ribbon with)
First (and most time consuming), roll each individual diaper up and wrap a rubber band around it. I did this while watching t.v. several nights...because it takes a while and it is boring.

After you have rolled most of the diapers, gather the largest tier together. This might take 2 people... I just figured out how large I wanted the ribbon to be around the bottom tier, then fastened the ribbon together. Next I squeezed in as many rolled diapers as I could fit into the ribbon. Focus on making the tiers and decorate last.

After you make your tier with the ribbon around each tier, adjust the position of the ribbon to cover-up all your rubber bands.
Now accessorize! I used coordinating pacifiers to cover the safety pins and an inexpensive bib to cover up the bottom pacifier. I put a stuffed elephant on the very top and slid some jungle themed pacifier holders in the sides to give it some pop.

If you use regular, white diapers, some people will use baby blankets to cover each of the layers. As with any crafty project, it can be expensive depending on what supplies you choose to use! Since I used the blue jean diapers, I really wanted that color to show. This is one of those projects that you need to start working on at least one week prior to the event...otherwise, you will end up scrambling for supplies! I think these are easier to make for girls considering the availability of baby girl accessories.


No comments: