Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 30, 2012

How to make a Diaper Wreath

How to make a diaper wreath

My friend Julie is having a baby (Ella) in June. The last weekend in March we are going to Charleston, SC to attend a baby shower. So, we got her a traditional baby gift...but since she and her hubby are special friends of ours, I decided to make a diaper wreath. 
I really wish I would have made one for my new niece b/c I felt bad every time we went to the hospital and her door was bare...I even thought the store bought wreaths were cute on some of the other doors. Sorry Eliza! 
(that's my niece) 

 I will make it up to you in the future by buying you a ton of shoes and letting you do things without telling your parents :)

Materials: 
Wreath (wooden, foam, etc)
Cute diapers...preferably with a design on them (had to order mine online)

Baby accessories (wash cloths, toys, pacifiers)
Letters to spell out the baby's name
Ribbon (to decorate and fasten the diapers to the wreath or the wreath to a hook on the door)
More ribbon to cover up the rubber bands

Rubber bands (b/c the ribbon probably won't hold the diapers that well) 
Spray Paint (white and pink) the pink that I used was relatively hard to find but eventually I found it at Kmart!
Staple gun (not to be confused with a stapler could possibly use a hot glue gun)

So, b/c I wanted Julie to be able to use it at the hospital...I wanted to make sure it had the baby's name on it. 
I needed to find wooden letters (or her name spelled out) to go on the wreath in some way. 

I found my letters at a local craft store for 49 cents each. I found a wooden sign at the same craft store that said "Friends" on it. It was the right size so I just decided to flip the friends sign over and spray paint white. 



Then, I spray painted the letters (E-L-L-A) pink. I sprayed with several coats for the letters and the sign and waited for it to be completely dry. 
 I used Rust-oleum's Gloss Berry Pink.

Next, I spaced out the letters exactly how I wanted them and picked up each letter and applied the glue. I used wood glue (very lightly applied to avoid it running out on the sign) to secure the letters in place. Let this dry. 


Then, I flipped the sign over and stapled one end of my decorative ribbon to the back side of the sign.


For the wreath: I used a straw wreath because it was the right size for me. After I unwrapped it, I realized that the straw was falling out so I re-wrapped it with masking tape.

Then, I wrapped a diaper around the wreath and secured it with a rubber band.
 Repeat this until the entire wreath is wrapped with diapers.




Overlap the diapers slightly so that the entire wreath is full. 

Cover the rubber bands with ribbon and curl the ribbon with your scissors (if possible). 







Lay the name sign on the wreath to get the desired placement. Tie the ribbon (coming from the back of the wooden sign to the end of one of your diapers. 
Make a bow out of coordinating ribbon and attach to the top of the wreath.  
Tie some extra ribbon around the top rim of the wreath and tuck the knot under one of the diapers at the top. This ribbon will be used for hanging the wreath.  
And that's it! More challenging than making a diaper cake...but so cute!

No comments: