Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Recovering and Spray Painting a Bench

I've had this bench for over 12 years...it came with an antique vanity that my parent's bought. While the fabric was pretty and the stain was in good condition, I was just getting tired of looking at butterflies in my home office!

(Sorry! No photo...imagine a peach cushion with pink butterflies and dark wood stain legs...) 

 I purchased a piece of scrap, discounted fabric, some white spray primer (Krylon brand), and used some leftover black spray paint from a previous project so, this project cost me less than $5...

First, I removed my cushion from the bench with a drill. Next, laid my fabric over the cushion to make sure it was : a. the right size b. the right pattern direction and c. double check that the edges would fit with enough room to be stapled.

Next, I laid my fabric face down on my table and positioned the cushion. I took my trusty staple gun and stapled along the length of the cushion (note: I just left the previous layer(s) of fabric on there for extra cushioning) leaving the corners for last. Then I manipulated the corners to look just right and held it down while a helper stapled the fabric (not my fingers...). After I had the cushion re-covered, I took the bottom part of the bench outside with my primer and my gloss, black spray paint.

I set the base of the bench face down on newspaper and gave a light coat of the primer. On some projects primer isn't necessary before using spray paint, but I wanted to make sure this piece had nice even coats with little to no splotchy areas. 

I only did one light coat of the primer. It is not necessary to cover evenly with primer. I let this dry completely (5 minutes). Then, I took my black spray paint and applied one light dusting of paint, let this dry again and repeated about 10 times. I know that sounds like a lot but that is the trick to applying spray paint without splotches! 


What do you think? I considered using red gloss spray paint...but I decided to save money and just use what I had in my cabinet. It will be used for my piano that I am refinishing right now...stay tuned for pics of that!

No comments: